Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Removing a cast iron bath tub??

On Dec 20, 11:49*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 20, 1:35*pm, wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:26:53 -0800 (PST), RubEric
wrote:

Remodeling my second floor bathroom will involve removing a large cast
iron tub. The tub is probably much too large and heavy to be removed
on one piece and will have to be broken up into small pieces.

How do I do that? *Is cast iron brittle and easy to fracture with a
heavy hammer? *Should I score the tub with a diamond saw before I
start to beat on it? *Is there a danger of the stucco exterior
cracking as the result of my hammering??

TIA

Eric

These folks are overstating the dangers of breaking this up. I did
wear real safety glasses when I broke up mine but it was not that
exciting. Once I got the first crack in it I just kept gnawing away on
the edge so I had small enough pieces to put in a drywall bucket and
haul out to the curb. A "scrapper" drove by and hauled the whole mess
away within a day. Once you get it started you use a sledge hammer and
you don't really hit it that hard. Pretty much you just let gravity
swing it.
This is over 300 pounds of metal and getting it out on one piece would
be very hard. I think mine was set before the walls were framed.
It was butt ugly 60s pink with rust spots so saving it was not even
considered.

My project replaced the ugly thing with a one-piece fiberglass tub/
shower unit during a remodel. *The out/in was accomplished with a
chainsaw that pretty well opened the entire wall ceiling to floor to
the outside. *Two very good tools when remodeling: *BFH and a chainsaw
(but don't use one in a basement under a fire detector - ask how I
know )

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

When using a BFH, be aware of your backswing.

Ask my former toilet how I know that.