Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Removing a cast iron bath tub??

On Dec 20, 5:30*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
*RubEric wrote:

Remodeling my second floor bathroom will involve removing a large cast
iron tub. The tub is probably much too large and heavy to be removed
on one piece and will have to be broken up into small pieces.

How do I do that? *Is cast iron brittle and easy to fracture with a
heavy hammer? *Should I score the tub with a diamond saw before I
start to beat on it? *Is there a danger of the stucco exterior
cracking as the result of my hammering??

TIA

Eric

*Just wondering if ones man's trash is another's jewel.

Antique claw foot tub, yes, ordinary old enameled cast iron "built-in"
tub, no.

Remove the tub from it's position before attempting to break it up, i.e.
pull it away fro the walls. Only hammer on it in a horizontal direction
i.e. do not hammer downward on it. Reposition the remains as needed to
continue the horizontal hammering. Wear full safety goggles (not just
glasses), ear protection and full long sleeve clothing as well.- Hide quoted text -

Your bath is like gold dust over here in the UK. Worth around $1000
even if in needs re-enamelling. There is a minor industry over here
in the UK re-enamelling they are so sought after. You can buy new for
arounf $3000 too.

They are being recovered from farmer's fields :-)