Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott M Scott M is offline

Default Future planning: Propane alternative to oil

Dave Liquorice wrote:

You don't get these problems with gas and I'd love to play with an
induction hob to see if one will pass the "milk test" and not suffer
any of the above mentioned problems, particularly the temperature
cycling and associated effects.

The only thermal inertia in the system is the pan and its contents. Turn
the ring off and whatever's about to boil over stops.

And, just remembered, power cycling is interesting. On mine power
settings 5-9 were completely linear (like a light dimmer) whereas only
1-4 were mark-space ratio controlled (like standard hob/microwave.)

Remembered a couple of (pseudo) downsides:

* It had self controlling diversity to prevent overloading - turn all
hobs on quite high and it'd modulate the power to each ring.

* As they're so fast to heat up, it was easy to look away and have
something boil over!

--
Scott