Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Future planning: Propane alternative to oil

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:16:46 +0000, MM wrote:

I don't need to prove anything because no proof is needed. Like I
said, cooks professional and otherwise mostly prefer gas hobs, end of.

Gas is much cheaper than electricity. Gas hobs are cheaper than
induction ones. Gas hobs are more robust that induction. All factors
that are important to a business but less so in the home.

We have a solid plate electric hob and I *DETEST THE F'CKING THING*.
The thermal inertia is so high that you either wait 20 minutes for
nothing to happen or you end up with a layer of carbon in the bottom
of the pan. If you try and double guess what setting to change to
from the current activity in a pan the chances are you'll get it
wrong because you don't know if you are looking at a high or low
point in the temperature cycle. On it's lowest settings on the
smallest ring it will burn a sauce that is thick enough not to
convect in 5 to 10 mins.

You don't get these problems with gas and I'd love to play with an
induction hob to see if one will pass the "milk test" and not suffer
any of the above mentioned problems, particularly the temperature
cycling and associated effects.

--
Cheers
Dave.