Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deadbolt for old door

On 12/20/2010 7:14 PM dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

... it's a
beautiful "storybook" home in San Francisco built in the 1920s, and the
door is an integral part of the house, ...

OK, there's a clue not previously revealed -- go check out the salvage
places then--SF is both large enough and interested enough in vintage
stuff there have to be a multitude of places specializing in vintage
recycled stuff...

Thanks, but I already know about all those places in our area (I'm in
the East Bay):

o San Francisco: Building Resource, on Third St. near Hunter's Point
o Berkeley: Urban Ore & Ohmega Salvage
o Oakland: The Reuse People & Habitat for Humanity ReStore
o Richmond: This & That
o And last but not least, Whole House Building Supply in East Palo Alto

I'm pretty familiar with all these places.

Of these, the only one that is a reliable source of supply for anything
lock-oriented is Ohmega; I've bought lots of bits and pieces for old
mortise locks and stuff there. But they don't have a short-backset deadbolt.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.