Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deadbolt for old door

On Dec 20, 8:11*pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 16:39:09 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 20, 7:16 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Friends have an old exterior French door with a skeleton lock they'd
like upgraded for more security, so I'm looking for a deadbolt to fit.
Very difficult to find, since the lock stile on the door is only 3"
wide, so need a lock with a shallow backset (ideally about 1-1/2").

A local search has turned up not much. One lock place can get a
fancy-schmancy solid brass lock, but it'll run--get this--about
$600-700! No effing way.

Other solution is a surface-mount deadbolt, easy to install, but not
what I really want, a regular old deadbolt that mounts inside the stile.

So anyone know of any locks that'll work? Again, deadbolt, standard
thickness (1-3/8"), single cylinder (turnbolt on inside), 1-1/2"
backset, not too expen$ive.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

replace door, for better energy efficency

His friends ONLY want the lock changed, Bob!- Hide quoted text -

if the door uses a skelton key it must be ancient with no insulation
or weatherstripping.

as such it might qualify for the energy tax credit, would be more
energy efficent, more secure and little or no maintence.

if a friend asked you to fix their 1980 chevy, wouldnt you at least
mention possible replacement?