Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Removing a cast iron bath tub??

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:42:12 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:30:35 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
RubEric wrote:

Remodeling my second floor bathroom will involve removing a large
cast iron tub. The tub is probably much too large and heavy to be
removed on one piece and will have to be broken up into small pieces.

How do I do that? Is cast iron brittle and easy to fracture with a
heavy hammer? Should I score the tub with a diamond saw before I
start to beat on it? Is there a danger of the stucco exterior
cracking as the result of my hammering??

TIA

Eric

Just wondering if ones man's trash is another's jewel.

Antique claw foot tub, yes, ordinary old enameled cast iron "built-in"
tub, no.

I don't know about jewel, but possibly useful intact - block up the drain
and it wouldn't be bad as a livestock trough, say.

Yeah, but how will he get the livestock up to his bathroom?

When I eventually get rid of one of ours I think it'll go in the shed
(with a lid) as a holding tank for rainwater, so I can have some running
water up in the adjacent 'shop. That's assuming I can get it out without
busting it :-)

Problem with freecycling something like that I suppose is that you don't
know that whoever turns up for it is going to be careful removing it from
your house :-(

You can't rely on other people for that.

cheers

Jules