Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deadbolt for old door

On Dec 20, 7:16*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Friends have an old exterior French door with a skeleton lock they'd
like upgraded for more security, so I'm looking for a deadbolt to fit.
Very difficult to find, since the lock stile on the door is only 3"
wide, so need a lock with a shallow backset (ideally about 1-1/2").

A local search has turned up not much. One lock place can get a
fancy-schmancy solid brass lock, but it'll run--get this--about
$600-700! No effing way.

Other solution is a surface-mount deadbolt, easy to install, but not
what I really want, a regular old deadbolt that mounts inside the stile.

So anyone know of any locks that'll work? Again, deadbolt, standard
thickness (1-3/8"), single cylinder (turnbolt on inside), 1-1/2"
backset, not too expen$ive.

* *To me, the *plonk...* reminds me of the old man at the public hearing
* *who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
* *that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

replace door, for better energy efficency