Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for solid conductor RJ12 cables? (Chinese DRO scale cable)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:58:57 -0600, Louis Ohland
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale electronics.
Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the cable next to the
electronics, and my display unit is displaying garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese DRO
cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to impossible
to solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors from
the small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This probably
would have been good enough, except there's no support for the connector
block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.

Use cat 5 cable - (RJ45) and you just have an extra pair.
By RJ12 you mean a 6p6c plug?

Looking at your picture, you only need a 4 conductor cable.
Radio Shack 278-872 is solid conductor 24 guage.
278-870 is also 4 conductor phone cable - not sure if it is solid or
stranded, or what guage.