Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Source for solid conductor RJ12 cables? (Chinese DRO scale cable)

James Waldby wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking on 2010-12-20 Bob La Londe wrote:
"Louis Ohland" ... wrote
Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid
wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale
electronics. Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the
cable next to the electronics, and my display unit is displaying
garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese
DRO cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to
impossible to solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors
from the small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This
probably would have been good enough, except there's no support for
the connector block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.

An RJ-12 is the same physical size as an RJ-11 telephone base cord
plug, but has 6 pins instead of 4.

If that is what you are talking about...

[snip other comments re plugs etc]

Ohland wants to solder solid wires of a cable instead of stranded
wires to contacts on a digital caliper's PC board. The RJ12 (or
whatever) connector is at the other end of the cable and plugs into an
ordinary matching socket. Ie, the RJ12 connector is not a concern,
the problem is getting the wires connected to the caliper's PCB.
Ohland implies that an expensive commercial cable is available with
RJ12 on one end and a plug to match the caliper contacts at the other
end; he wants to avoid buying the expensive cable.

--
jiw

Sounds like you nailed that one . I have cables with stranded wire soldered
to the pads in my digital scales on the mill , but made my own with 26ga
stranded I bought at RS . Of course the other end of mine terminate into 4
pin nini-din plugs , not RJ12's ... and mine are ziptied at 2 places on the
read head bracket , so the wires don't fatigue and break .
--
Snag
Learning keeps