Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Road Grit Reserve

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 21:12:30 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Roads round here (East Anglia) are usable with care.
Only 20-40cm of snow.

"Only"? Sure you don't mean mm?

40 mm is just a heavy frost. B-) Shouldn't stop any vehicle, that
has decent "all season" tyres. Slow 'em down certainly as stopping
distances will be some what longer but not stop.

40cm will stop most vehicles; the ground clearance on a discovery is
only 24cm, and I suspect it would struggle with 40cm, even with 4wd and
proper tyres.

A lot depends on the snow. I flumphed through several drifts around
100cm the other day but that was fresh, dry powder, very light and
flows almost like water.

Conversely I have been stopped by just an inch or so of firm snow on
the central hump catching the bottom of the front valance. That is
higher than the bottom of the diff housings which is what the quoted
ground clearance measures to. The diffs can be can be pushed through
snow but not rocks... Disco II (permenant 4WD) with winter tyres.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsort...et-72157623194
502480/

Has float over explanatory notes.

--