Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default insulating draughty cavity under ground floor boards?

On Dec 20, 4:49*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
ps.com, Jim writes

I presume blocking up the air vent completely would be a bad thing?

Yes. *The airflow prevents the joists from rotting. Don't do it.

Is
it worthwhile attempting any other sort of under-floor insulation?

No.

yes.

* lift boardsd, fit celotex/kingspan between, foil tape over the whole
lot, refit boards.

result no draughts and about 5 times better insulation than carpet.

How thick is a layer of celotex/kingspan? Also, what do you mean by
foil tape?

Also, only some of the boards are already up, so I'd rather not lift
them all unless I had to. Would a combination of your's and Mike's
suggestions work?

That is to say, fix all the floorboards, then lay celotex/kingspan
(I'll have to look those up), then foil tape on top of that, and then
let the fitters lay underlay and carpet ontop of that? That would be a
lot less effort intensive.