Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default How to plug sliding door gap?

On 12/20/2010 2:14 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
On 12/20/2010 1:39 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 20, 7:33 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 12/20/2010 8:44 AM, Name Classified wrote:

Hi
There is a gap between my sliding doors and heat is escaping.
See the pic:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...ingdoorgap.jpg

You can see light coming through.
What can I get to perminantly block the air but will allow the door to
open and close?
Thanks

You can use a brush type door sweep for a weather seal. The fine brush
will conform to odd shapes without interfering with the door clearances.

http://www.reeseusa.com/item/963G

http://preview.tinyurl.com/36agzg2

TDD

And face the fact that no solution will ever turn a sliding door into
a well engineered wall opening. I put one in 30 years ago because
wife insisted on it. We have both cursed it ever since. Promised her
that comes spring that abortion is disappearing.

Yes it was a quality door (Anderson).

Harry K

They have made great improvements in 30 years. We had Anderson sliders
in the previous house and they were very tight. That coupled with the
Low-E glass, made them almost feel like a wall. In this house we have an
el-cheapo door. While it's not that bad, the Anderson was far better.
The only reason we didn't get Anderson, was because this unit came in at
less than half the cost.

I had 3 Andersons put in 3 years ago and one warped slightly to let in
air and warped half was replaced by contractor under warranty this
spring. Waiting for repair, I stuffed foam in the crack.
With new E glass, they made a huge difference over the old sliders which
were double paned but seals leaked.