Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default spraying latex on garage drywall?

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer, and
I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex drywall
primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I think there
is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing ceilings, with
the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full doing the ceiling.
Any real life experience out there?

First, chuck the Wagner, and either rent or buy a good airless. I got a
Graco XR7 for $300 for some remodels, and used it on a lot of things
afterward, and they are great.

That being said, they do have some big downsides. It amounts to applying
paint with a garden hose, so you have to be prepared and do it right. You
need to remove or mask anything that will get paint on it. There is a LOT
of overspray. Second, backroll it. That is, have someone right behind you
with a 3/4" nap roller to even out what you spray. It will look a lot
better. You will have to change the roller often, as it builds up with
paint. Use the look of the stipple to know when to change rollers.

If this is a garage, it doesn't have to be perfect, but you want it to look
nice. Be sure to use the right tip orifice, as they have all sizes, and
that determines how much paint comes out.

Use large buckets to put more than one gallon of paint into, as an airless
will suck up a gallon in a very short time, and you don't want to stop
painting to change buckets, and end up with a dry line.

Good luck.

I do not regret a bit spending that much for an airless. On jobs I have
used it that required a real painting, it shone. Two of us did 100' of
block wall once in less than an hour. It would have taken us two days with
rollers.

Steve