Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Finally figured out and did encoder shaft

It seems you're not entirely confident in the U.S. Digital encoder
installation. I suppose that's why machine manufacturers generally use
enclosed, industrial-duty encoders.
There are numerous producers of quality enclosed encoders which include
sturdy bearing supports, internal signal conditioning circuits and offer
many mounting options.
There are many other features such as dirt and liquid-tight seals, various
output signal options etc.

By coupling a decent quality enclosed encoder to the mill spindle, you'd
have essentially no concerns about disk alignment, runout or proper mounting
of the individual components.

Having a few ruggedized encoders on hand, along with a good counter/tach DPM
can be very handy for checking all sorts of machine functions (mentioned
previously).

I didn't have any trouble finding an abundance of new surplus industrial
encoders some years ago, for use with a few DRO displays I was working with.
I wanted a couple to tear apart, and found quite a few used ones on eBay in
the $5-$10 range.
The majority of them will probably work well with just 5VDC, but many have
fairly wide power input ranges of ~5-30 VDC.

--
WB

"Ignoramus12759" wrote in message
news

Lloyd, I will try to attach something to the spindle that can let me
very accurately make exactly one revolution (by hand), and see if the
number that EMC2 has, increases by exactly 1.000.