Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Have heat pump - No outside thermometer

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 08:21:16 -0600, dpb wrote:

Edward Reid wrote:

... If you disable the resistance heat (which is a viable course of
action in the southern US), then you can ignore that advice and save
some money, albeit at the tradeoff that it may take quite a while to
bring the temperature back up.

One alternate ploy rather than disabling them entirely is what the
installer of our system did routinely -- he used a thermister inline w/
the emergency heat that kept them out of the control circuit w/ outside
temperatures were above about 20-25F.

Neat idea. The problem I see with this is that there is something else to go
wrong and there is no way to know it's gone wrong until the worst possible
time.

Trivial to bypass if want/need to but it's a passive solution and a
device that has extremely long MTBF ratings...

(Which leads to a story of when sold the house, however; the buyer's
inspection wrote up a defect that the emergency heat was non-functional;
the buyer ended up paying to have the good idea removed 'cuz couldn't
fathom the benefit even when explained to him and I refused to pay to
"fix" something that wasn't broke but was a beneficial feature.)