Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default Rigid tapping, pretty much, works.

John R. Carroll wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:26:20 -0800:

dan wrote:
Ignoramus30138 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:16:06 -0600:

Wouldn't anyone that would need such a plate be able to make it
themselves anyway?

Money.
A machine in production is generating $100/Hr or so in sales - at least.
Why disrupt that to make something that can be purchased for a lot less?

Well.... I can't speak for all shops, but at the shop I work at, we
wouldn't be sure of the exact size we want until we see how much
clearance we would need, and were the mounting locations on the
machine table are. And once we know all that, it's quicker making it
rather than ordering it.

Once made and installed, it lasts the life the machine usually.

But don't let me discourage you. You may be very successful in your
endeavor. Give it a shot.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.