Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homemade Draw Bar

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:33:11 -0700, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

I don't understand the hex and pins bit. I figured I would just take a
piece of 1/4 rod and thread both ends. Then thread a 1/4 x 3/8 bushing on
one end, and thread a hand knob on the other end. Use red Loctite and a
butted tight shoulder on the bushing to keep it from coming off. The mill
does not have a motor reversing circuit.

I think the hex and pins bit was a way to avoid the threading and to give
an
end that could be tightened with a wrench. Good idea for R8 or NMTB
tapers.
Overkill for Morse tapers.

If the hole in the spindle is big enough that the drawbar could be off
centre,
then instead of making the end of the hand knob tapered, make it with a
pilot
that is a good fit in the bore. You can still have a flat face for the
thrust,
but you get centring as well :-)

Good idea Mark. I like it. Wound up not finishing the draw bar today. I
got distracted by a loose gib on the machine and discovered one of the gibbs
was missing a specialty adjusting bolt. Instead of finishing my draw bar
and knob I made a bolt for adjusting the Y Axis gib in and out. LOL. No
ADD in my familly no sire... Ooh! Bright and shiny.