Roy Smith

Default !/2" vs 3/4" Band saw blade

Nova wrote:
My 3/4 HP motor is a bit under powered for resawing

I suppose "underpowered" depends on what you're resawing! I've got a
1960's vintage 12" Sears with 1/3 HP motor. I've managed (with extreme
patience) to resaw 6" wide oak. I use a 3 tpi 1/2" Timberwolf blade.

This morning I was making some veneer from 3" wide walnut, and it did
just fine. I kept skootching the fence closer and closer to the blade
on each pass to see how thin I could get. The last slice measured 0.025
(25 thou) by dial caliper.

I wouldn't want to be in a production environment with a setup like
this, but it's amazing what an old machine with a good blade can do if
you're not in a hurry.