Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine Tapping

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:26:03 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:06:10 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I run pretty conservative numbers to make sure my customers have reliability
and efficiency.

Generally, I run taps at 1/3 the drilling RPM and plan on needing 200% of
the HP requirement for drilling. ...Cut tap, HSS.

I use the following chart to estimate those numbers:

http://tinyurl.com/ToolSpeeds
or
http://www.multi-drill.com/drill-speed-chart.htm

Man, I have a radial arm drill and a heavy duty CNC mill and i only go
about 1/3 of these numbers. IMHO, a typical HSM ain't got a chance
with light equipment at these speeds. Keep in mind these numbers are
for production shops.

Just my 2 cents

Karl

Ill have to check them. I was running a radial arm drill yesterday, but
it only had a 3" bit in it.

Cinci with a 12' arm.....

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.