Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing windows, frame and all

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:50:49 -0800 (PST), aemeijers
wrote:

On Dec 17, 2:33Â*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 17, 10:36Â*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"RogerT" wrote:
I am planning on replacing all of the windows in a house that I own that is
being completely rehabbed and will then be rented out. Â*I am wondering about
the possibility of replacing the entire windows, frames and trim and all,
rather than just inserting new replacement windows within the existing
frames. Â*In other words, ripping out all of the existing windows down to the
studs and putting in new windows and new inside and outside trim. Â*I won't
be doing the work myself; I will be hiring people to do it.

I've just finished replacing all the windows in my old house. Â* Â*I
bought 'new construction' windows for all of them. Â* Â*One huge
difference is that I did all my own work- so labor was a minor issue--
but here was my reasoning behind replacing the windows rather than
getting 'replacement windows'
1. Don't know if I could get same-size replacements.
2. New windows look better, and are more energy efficient.
3. About 1/2 of the new windows were different sizes- by far- than the
old ones. Â* I made the north & west side windows smaller- and the
south facing windows larger. Â* Â* I also shrunk the 36x60 windows that
were in a bathroom, a hallway & a closet.
4. Â*When I went window shopping- I was able to shop for what I
wanted-- not what would plug into what I had.

I personally don't think the windows themselves were a lot more work-
but I *did* spread the job over 20 years.g

The downside is that siding and sheetrock need to be accounted for.
The sheetrock was no problem as I was re-doing the rooms anyway. Â*The
siding wasn't an issue for because I've been replacing chalky aluminum
with vinyl as I go along.

Part of why I am thinking of doing it that way is that the property was
built long before 1978 and I would like to remove as many potential sources
of lead paint as possible. Â*I do know that to do that kind of work these
days the contractors will need to be certified and use lead safe practices
etc.

Lead abatement questions should be addressed with the contractor. *If*
you have lead and have to deal with it, you have my sympathy.

How much more difficult or complicated is it to go ahead and replace the
entire windows, frames and all, versus just inserting replacement windows in
the old frames? Â*My guess is that the window rip-out and replacement part is
roughly the same either way, and the additional work in a complete
replacement will mostly just involve buying and installing the new trim.

And maybe putting in headers and a kneewall-- my house is balloon
construction & they paid no attention to such things-- just threw a
window in where they wanted it.

They weren't difficult to do - but took more time and needed more
tearing apart of the inside wall. Â* Â* Â*

Jim

"my reasoning behind replacing the windows rather than getting
'replacement windows'"

1. Don't know if I could get same-size replacements.

You didn't have to worry about that. See Item 4

2. New windows look better, and are more energy efficient.

I'm not sure what you mean by either of those items. Are you referring
to "new" as in "new construction" or "new" as in newer than the old
windows - which would mean that "new" would also include VRW. Please
explain. Are new construction windows more energy efficient than a
properly installed VRW?

3. About 1/2 of the new windows were different sizes- by far- than
the
old ones. Â* I made the north & west side windows smaller- and the
south facing windows larger. Â* Â* I also shrunk the 36x60 windows that
were in a bathroom, a hallway & a closet.

You didn't have to worry about that. See Item 4

4. Â*When I went window shopping- I was able to shop for what I
wanted-- not what would plug into what I had.

You didn't have to worry about that.

If you stay away from the big box stores, VRW are custom made to your
size specifications for the same price as stock big box windows.

I bought all of my VRW from the local Norandex-Reynolds outlet and
paid the same price for custom-sized, higher-spec'd windows as the big
boxes charged for the stock sizes/specs. Comparatively, it was "one
step up" spec-wise from the big box stock windows - for the same
price.

I only had to wait about a week for each order. They placed all orders
on Tuesdays for delivery the following Tuesday, so the max wait would
be 13 days if I ordered on a Wednesday. One window or 10. I think I
did 9, then 3, then 1 and it was all the same process. I've got one 48
x 48 picture window to go this spring.

I also bought my entry door and storm door from the same dealer.
Everything I said about the VRW applies to the doors also.- Hide quoted text -

Some of can't bear the thought of VRW. We want REAL windows. Vinyl-
clad may make sense to keep upkeep down, but IMHO vinyl is not a
structural material. People always talk about 'lifetime' warrantees,
and how their 20 YO VRW look fine, but from hearing moans and wails of
people with plastic windows, I am dubious. A properly installed wood
window, as long as you keep a coat of paint on it (which many people
don't, sadly) can easily last 100 years or more.

Sadly, many houses today won't outlast a GOOD wooden window, properly
cared for, or even a top quality vinyl window.
They (vinyl windows) are sure a lot better than the aluminum framed or
sashless windows installed in so many houses in the early
seventies!!!!!