Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default OT Clock synchronization

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

See, you know the answer. The old motor driven analog clocks were very
accurate with the 60 cycle electricity. Digital are timed differently and
drift. They use a crystal oscillator that is not a perfect cycle of 60.
I'm sure someone can explain it better.

Plug-in digital clocks use the powerline frequency, just like analog clocks
do. For battery backup, they can use cheap RC oscillators (no crystal).

The plug-in clocks with battery backup I've used are usually fast during a
power outage. If the outage is longer than 5 minutes, you may need to reset
those clocks.

This is true for the "Intellitime" clock that PRETENDS to set itself.

--
8 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010 12:00:00
AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Humanism : An exaltation of freedom, but one limited by our need to
exercise it as an integral part of nature and society." -- John Ralston
Saul, The Doubter's Companion