Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Finally figured out and did encoder shaft

Wouldn't a low number of counts.. 100 counts (1 = 1%), or 360 (1 = 1 degree)
be adequate for the rotational position of a tap?

I suspect that 100 counts would be far more reliable at high (or low)
speeds, even though HSM tapping isn't an especially high speed application.

Assuming the 4096 encoder was already purchased, it would work to test the
application, but there isn't really a need for that high of a count per
rotation, is there?

--
WB

"Ignoramus6780" wrote in message
I would like to count the index pulses separately
and compare index count with the angular position oft he spindle. They
should always stay within "1" of each other, if no counts are missed.

I have not yet figured out how to do it.

Well, the basic equation is that there is a full revolution of the
encoder between the index pulses. If EMC2 sees a different number of
pulses than 4096 (4096 pulses make a full revolution of the encoder),
between two index pulses, thos would mean that pulses are missed. This
is what I want to check somehow.

(You do have a "zero index" on that encoder disk, right?)
LLoyd