Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Finally figured out and did encoder shaft

I'd been wondering if an electronic counter would be a good solution, since
there are numerous models with varying features made for all sorts of
machine applications (counting/tachometer industrial applications).
I thought someone more familiar with integrating them into computer
applications might mention them as a good (but maybe not optimum) solution.

I have a couple of DPMs digital panel meters which are capable of reading
several types of input devices, including optical TTL quadrature encoders.
Other inputs are commonly used, from a fairly wide variety of signal
sources.

Of course a DPM by itself often requires an enclosure (or approx. 2"x5"
panel space) for mounting, but as far as a portable piece of test equipment,
they can be very versatile for monitoring a wide variety of machine
functions.
The Totalize feature is common on most industrial DPM tach/counters, and
other features are often fairly sophisticated specific programmable
functions.

Quality counters are made to easily integrate into machine electrical
systems, generally with output signal options that would likely be easily
implemented as inputs for a PC CNC application (maybe with a simple
isolation circuit).

--
WB

"Ignoramus30138" wrote in message

What I did yesterday was to buy a digital "laser" tachometer that has
a TOTAL function.

When it arrives, I will run the spindle for 3 minutes and look at
spindle position number in EMC, and will compare it with the TOTAL
number from the tach. They should differ by less than 1.0.