Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Killing fire ant colony under house - concrete slab so no crawl space

On Dec 15, 4:26*pm, Alex wrote:
Hey Guys --

I've posted a thread or two about this over the last few months, but I
figured I'd start a new thread since my question is alittle different.

Basically our problem is over 3 months ago we found our house was
being invaded by fire ants coming up through the sand trap under one
of our bathtubs. *Our bug guy, who has already rid the yard of ants
and about any other type of insect, used Termidor which seemed to kill
them there, but now they're entering through any other opening in the
house they can find, like around the toilet, under the second bathroom
sink, and even through the pipes feeding our washer in the laundry
room. *Mind you these locations are all 10-20 feet apart.

He's sprayed the bathroom and laundry room pipes inside the wall with
Termidor, and I've sprayed around the toilet with Ortho Home Defense,
but given there's obviously a colony of ants under the house and we
have a concrete slab what recourse do we have short of drilling holes
in the concrete, which even that is a crap shoot since we have no idea
where the colony is.

The bug guy said Termidor should in time work, hopefully within 3
weeks to 3 months, which it's been alittle over a month since he
sprayed the first time, but I'm afraid that might not be enough.
There are literally zero ants in the yard, so they are sustaining
themselves on whatever's under the house, which it's only 7 months old
so there can't be much.

So are we just destined to have ants from now on? *Am I not giving
Termidor enough time to work? *I've not read one case where it didn't
work, but with a baby and toddler I really can't afford to wait too
long. *The bug guy has done a great job trying to fight back, but he
said he's even dumbfounded as to why they're being so aggressive since
it seems that we're doing a great job cutting off their food source.
Is our case just that unique?

Anyway, thanks for any advice anyone has.

Something I found on Termidor that may explain your experience with
it:

Termidor is made to bond to soil and will only last extended periods
of time when placed into the ground for termite control. Also, when
you treat in a trench in the ground for termites, you are pouring in 4
gallons per 10 feet. Termidor will only last for 10 years when
applied in a trench for termites. When you use Termidor as a spot
treatment indoors on wood, it will only last for 6 weeks at the most,
because it is not made to bond and last on wood, it is meant for soil
treatments. Although you can use it indoors for spot treatments in
wall voids for termites only, you cannot use Termidor as a pest
control spray indoors.

Jimmie