Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Replacing windows, frame and all

On Dec 17, 5:00*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:43:41 -0500, "RogerT"
wrote:

I am planning on replacing all of the windows in a house that I own that is
being completely rehabbed and will then be rented out. *I am wondering about
the possibility of replacing the entire windows, frames and trim and all,
rather than just inserting new replacement windows within the existing
frames. *In other words, ripping out all of the existing windows down to the
studs and putting in new windows and new inside and outside trim. *I won't
be doing the work myself; I will be hiring people to do it.

Part of why I am thinking of doing it that way is that the property was
built long before 1978 and I would like to remove as many potential sources
of lead paint as possible. *I do know that to do that kind of work these
days the contractors will need to be certified and use lead safe practices
etc.

How much more difficult or complicated is it to go ahead and replace the
entire windows, frames and all, versus just inserting replacement windows in
the old frames? *My guess is that the window rip-out and replacement part is
roughly the same either way, and the additional work in a complete
replacement will mostly just involve buying and installing the new trim.

Is that correct? *or, is there more to it that I am not taking into
consideration? *Any thoughts or experiences regarding this idea would be
appreciated.

What type of siding do you have? *With new construction (NC) windows
you will have to cut/lift/remove some siding back and install the
moisture wrap behind the siding. The exterior moisture wrap barrier is
important and needs to be installed properly. My house is stucco, so
NC windows require cutting the stucco back some inches to tuck the
moisture wrap.

The warranty may void if the window company determines the windows
were not installed correctly. Best to use an installer the is trained
to factory expectations.- Hide quoted text -

"The warranty may void if the window company determines the
windows were not installed correctly. Best to use an installer the is
trained to factory expectations."

You know, I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure that's as big
a factor as some folks claim. Let's look at the numbers.

I saved a boat-load of cash by installing my own windows.

What's the percentage of labor v. material to have a contractor do it?
Let's say it's as low as 50% - and I'm sure it's more in many cases.

Now, what are the odds that I'm going to have a warranty related issue
*and* that the company is going to void the warranty because they
don't like the way I installed them?

Let's use round numbers and say I paid $200 per window for 10 windows.
That's $2000 for a DIY job, $3000 for a contractor to do them. Even at
a low 50% upcharge, I'd have to have 5 windows go bad *and* be denied
warranty coverage before I'd be out any more money than if the
contractor did them originally.

If a window goes bad and the company balks, I'd simply buy a new one
for $200 and put it in myself. I'd still be $800 ahead for the whole
job, and that's assuming I had to buy a whole new window and not just
a sash or two. 2 windows go bad? I'm still ahead $600.

What are the odds that any competent DIYer is going to screw up more
than half the windows he installs to such an extent that the warranty
is voided?

..