Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Replacing windows, frame and all

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:43:41 -0500, "RogerT"
wrote:

I am planning on replacing all of the windows in a house that I own that is
being completely rehabbed and will then be rented out. I am wondering about
the possibility of replacing the entire windows, frames and trim and all,
rather than just inserting new replacement windows within the existing
frames. In other words, ripping out all of the existing windows down to the
studs and putting in new windows and new inside and outside trim. I won't
be doing the work myself; I will be hiring people to do it.

Part of why I am thinking of doing it that way is that the property was
built long before 1978 and I would like to remove as many potential sources
of lead paint as possible. I do know that to do that kind of work these
days the contractors will need to be certified and use lead safe practices
etc.

How much more difficult or complicated is it to go ahead and replace the
entire windows, frames and all, versus just inserting replacement windows in
the old frames? My guess is that the window rip-out and replacement part is
roughly the same either way, and the additional work in a complete
replacement will mostly just involve buying and installing the new trim.

Is that correct? or, is there more to it that I am not taking into
consideration? Any thoughts or experiences regarding this idea would be
appreciated.

Can't speak to the lead. Might only be in the exterior paint.
But for renting that's a valid concern.
You might take chips/scrapings to a lab that will tell you if it's
lead-based paint.
After that, the folks doing the work can give you estimates of inserts
vs. frame/window. That's how you know the cost difference.
Then you hope the workers have good framing skills.
I had inserts put in all my windows a few years ago.
Brick house.
There were no sizing issues in getting exactly the windows we wanted,
and they look/operate real good.
Frames were all square enough and sills were sound so the guys doing
the work had no problems, and they insulated all voids that were
uncovered.

--Vic