Posted to alt.home.repair
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Substrate for tiled counter?

On 12/17/2010 12:47 PM, RBnDFW wrote:
On 12/17/2010 9:24 AM, Pete C. wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

I am finishing a bathroom counter.
It's approx 75"x25" and will have two sink bowls

Right now I have the top made from 3/4" plywood. It is not marine grade
plywood BTW. The tiles are cut and ready to lay.
My original plan was to use structural adhesive to attach the tiles
to the plywood and then grout.
But I bet I need a waterproof substrate - backer board, cement
board, Hardiboard? Problem is I don't want to make the top any thicker
than it already is, though 1/8" or so would be fine.
Any suggestions welcome on materials and method. I only want to do
this once.

A layer of cement tile backer board would be appropriate, the same as
tiling a wall. I would however suggest you reconsider the idea of tiling
the counter as in my experience tiled counters are less than ideal. Tile
counters are hard, noisy, the surface is not level so bottles rock, and
the grout lines are a royal pain to clean.

I had considered those negatives, and I don't agree.

That should have read "we don't DISagree"

We are willing to to forgo the smooth surface so that the counter will
match the floor and shower.

The wife and I have
been back and forth on it for some time. We like the look.

Thanks for the input

--
I can see 2012 from my front porch