Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing question

In article , frozenNorth123
@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

On 12/16/10 9:31 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:

Just got a new stove, the back above the control panel isn't deep
enough
for things we like to store there. List includes olive oil,
veggie oil,
regular, balsamic and wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

I have the shelf made and coloured properly to match cabinets,
now what
to use for a clear coat? Poly, varnish, shellac or ?

Are you opposed to formica?

It just might clash with the granite counter top. :-)

Seriously, my wife suggested tonight just painting it white, which would
blend in with the ceramics between the granite and the cabinets, maybe I
can find a white enamel paint with some heat resistant qualities. Sounds
like a trip to HD and/or Rona tomorrow, see what I can find in the way
of brackets and finish.

If you can find a supplier for it, M.L. Campbell's Magnamax comes in
white as well as clear, same properties pretty much. Just about
anything wipes off it without a mark. But again it's going to smell
like lacquer for a while and don't let it near a flame until it stops
doing so.