Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Sacrificial backing material

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:19:44 -0800 (PST), the renowned Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Dec 17, 2:34*pm, Ignoramus30138 ignoramus30...@NOSPAM.
30138.invalid wrote:
I am drilling this aluminum sheet:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...uTAdxO3bjAhN7B...

This is a holder for a (almost complete by 1/64) set od DA collets
that I have in a bag.

Unfortunately, when drilling, it flexes more than I would like. It is
under control but I now realize that I should have used some
sacrificial backing material, or a step drill.

The question is, what material is friendly to the mill. I thought that
wood (plywood) was somehow bad.

thanks

Ig...since you do know how to reuse materials, try going to the local
thrift store and get the $1 picture frames with clear panes of
PLASTIC.

Works great for sacrificial backings.

If you buy the frames that use aluminum extrusions, you will have
building stock also.

TMT

Cheap dollar store cutting boards provide some useful material too. It
machines quite nicely.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany