Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Sacrificial backing material

Ignoramus30138 wrote:

On 2010-12-17, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus30138 fired this volley in
:

I thought that it actually is abrasive and also clogs the coolant
pump.

both.

And the statement earlier that "most" woods don't contain much silica is
rife with problems. As wood selections get cheaper, and more and more of
the scrap is salvaged, more bark, root, and knot sections get included in
plywood and press-board products, raising the silica content beyond what
you want on your nice tools.

Lloyd, do you think that I could use 2x4 and 2x6's for this sort of
purpose, as a backer on my mill, and with coolant?

The wood "chips" would not be so fine as with MDF or some such.

Right?

Go down to your local Mal-Wart and get a cheap poly cutting board as
your sacrificial backer.

And remember, you *do not* need coolant for most machining operations in
aluminum.