Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default help with drip feeding R2E4

F. George McDuffee fired this volley
in news
http://mcduffee-associates.us/PE/SPLITTER.ZIP
to download my software solution. [need winzip or pkunzip to
unpack]

Unka, you gave that to me earlier this week, and it works nicely for what
I had been doing by hand -- much more nicely.

But I have a quandry. I laid out a part in CAMBAM and generated the g-
codes for it. It's a relatively simple part, but with several pockets, a
couple of islands, and a frame around the outside.

With R2E4 special canned cycles, I can fit the thing into about 8K of g-
code (which will fit in the machine). But modern CAM packages eschew
canned cycles (except for drill, peck drill, and tap) for discrete g-code
blocks. This part ended up about 200K worth of code.

That would mean "baby-sitting" the machine for up to six hours, just to
re-load the next 10K-or-so segment.

For a _couple_ of reloads, that wouldn't be too much of a chore. For 20-
odd, it's just untenable.

Don't get me wrong... I like what you supplied, and it helped me through
a couple of pounds of wax to verify some codes. But it just won't work
for what I must do with this machine. I need to drip feed it until I can
save up enough to do a full-up "kit" retro-fit. I just don't have the
time to engineer my own.

LLoyd