Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30138 Ignoramus30138 is offline

Default Rigid tapping, pretty much, works.

On 2010-12-17, Jon Elson wrote:
On 12/16/2010 11:17 PM, Ignoramus6780 wrote:
At this point, after adjusting the base period, there are no more
following errors. It seems that, in the straight gear, rigid tapping
works just fine.

Using a PPMC, you should not even HAVE a base period. only the
SERVO_PERIOD is used.

One gotcha is that the TRAJ_PERIOD should be the same as the
SERVO_PERIOD, so the trajectory planner keeps up better with the spindle
reversal.

This is exactly what I did, based on your older post.

I just worded my sentence poorly.

I have not tried it with real material, yet, but will do so as soon as
practicable. I am not expecting too many surprises, especially with a
floating tap holder.

I have done it with a tap in a Jacob's chuck, it works fine.

Very nice.

So, my back gear reversal issues, really, are of minor importance if I
do not tap in back gear. I rarely tap anything over 1/2", so I can do
most of my work in the way I am set up right now.

If you want to, then you can rig a switch that is activated by the
back-gear lever, and reverses the motor command to the VFD. then, M03
will always provide the proper spindle rotation no matter what gear you
are in. One of these DAYS...... I'll do that myself, too.

Yes, this is actually a good idea.