Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Self tapping screws

"notbob" -did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me wrote in
message
-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me...

A couple decades ago, I ran across a handfull of self-tapping screws.
They were like sheet metal screws, but with skirted hex heads. These
were about 1/2" long and 1/4" dia. I'd seen them used with a special
head on a drill motor, it having a hex chuck that would ratchet when the
screw bottomed out. What amazed me about these was the fact they where
not only self-starting AND self-tapping, but they where pretty damn
hard. In experimenting, I discovered they tapped and screwed into an
old BSA motorcycle frame like it was soft pine.

I now find myself in need of something like this and was wondering just
what, exactly, do I ask for when I go down to the hardware store.

nb

There are lots and lots of different self taps for lots and lots of uses.
Some are the common types available at the hardware stores, and some are
only available at fastener suppliers. All self taps are not tek, and there
are hundreds of different ones.

Steve