Posted to alt.home.repair
Alex Alex is offline

Default Killing fire ant colony under house - concrete slab so no crawl space

That price is for concentrate. It is mixed with water. All the
drilling, appllication, filling the holes cost me aound $1000. Took
care of ants termites and a lot of other insects including roaches and
crickets. Still works after 10 years. Works best if your neighbors
also have their homes treated with Termidor.If he came in with a
little sprayer and spritzed the stuff around he is ripping you off.
Doubt if he is even applying Termidor.

Yes he used the 20oz bottle of Termidor, I saw the bottle and read the
label. He targeted the ants under our garden tub coming up from the
sand trap, and as expected within a few days they were gone from
there, but I think they've moved to a second bathroom around a toilet
that we've found to have a leaky seal which we're getting fixed this
afternoon. Termidor can't be used around the toilet, but I hope by
replacing the wax ring and also caulking around the toilet drain
that'll keep them away from that area. And if this is their primary
source of water under the foundation and it's removed maybe that'll
drive them away.

Also if you got your house sprayed 10 years ago, termidor was just
introduced in 2000 so you were one of the firsts And if it cost
you $1000 them I bet it'd be MUCH more today. But if after fixing the
toilet and baiting the yard once more (it's been 3 months since it was
baited last) and the ants are still around, I'll see if we can go with
under the foundation treatment regardless of the cost.

dadiOH
-- Are you 100% sure they are fire ants? Been stung? What state are
you in?

Yes they are, and yes I have, and we're in Central Texas...

Before we found the primary source of the ants we had them literally
in every room of the house, even in the ceiling (attracted to moisture
in the AC vents). Me, my wife, and daughter got stung several times
during that fiasco, but since having the sand traps sprayed they're
just trickling in... no lines of ants, just one or two here or there.
When it's damp outside we get a break from them, but given a few days
of dryness we see worker ants coming back in. I've sprayed around the
bathroom parameters with Ortho Home Defense which keeps them isolated
to the bathroom. Like I said before hopefully fixing the leaky toilet
will remove their source of water and make them move elsewhere.