Posted to rec.woodworking
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing question

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 12/16/10 9:31 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:

Just got a new stove, the back above the control panel isn't
deep enough
for things we like to store there. List includes olive oil,
veggie oil,
regular, balsamic and wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

I have the shelf made and coloured properly to match cabinets,
now what
to use for a clear coat? Poly, varnish, shellac or ?

Are you opposed to formica?

It just might clash with the granite counter top. :-)

Seriously, my wife suggested tonight just painting it white, which
would blend in with the ceramics between the granite and the
cabinets, maybe I can find a white enamel paint with some heat
resistant qualities. Sounds like a trip to HD and/or Rona tomorrow,
see what I can find in the way of brackets and finish.

a scrap piece of granite supported on a couple countersunk rods. you can
polish the edge with wet/dry sandpaper.