Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing question

On Dec 17, 12:03*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

However you are right about the solvents - I should have mentioned that. *
Any strong alkali, like ammonia, will harm it.

It is a kitchen, after all. It will be cleaned. The best cleaners
are really nasty stuff.

I had an article from years ago about that best kitchen cleaners
(germane to my finishing business one would think I would have kept
it) and how they affected the surfaces they cleaned.

When I "final clean" my jobs, I am a big proponent of 409 since it
will cut oil, grease, and even take off pencil marks.

The report I had tested the cleaners to see how deep they cleaned and
if they damaged surfaces. In their testing, they found 409 to be
quite effective, but quite destructive. It ate off all manner of
kitchen cabinet finishes, took off paint, and even etched metal.

When I pick a finish for an item, I always think of what I could put
on it to make it look the best, wear the best, and what will keep me
out of warranty work.

Robert