Posted to rec.woodworking
FrozenNorth[_4_] FrozenNorth[_4_] is offline

Default Finishing question

On 12/17/10 11:20 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , frozenNorth123
@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

Just got a new stove, the back above the control panel isn't deep enough
for things we like to store there. List includes olive oil, veggie oil,
regular, balsamic and wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

I have the shelf made and coloured properly to match cabinets, now what
to use for a clear coat? Poly, varnish, shellac or ?

Best bet's probably polyurethane. A precatalyzed lacquer would also be
good but it may take a week or so before you don't smell it anymore.

I can deal with a week of smell, I did the recommended burn cycle on the
new stove, the factory smell still comes out when I turn it on.

Thanks for all the great info and ideas, we never had anything fall off
the back of the stove, so this shelf mounted to the wall would be much
safer anyway.
--
Froz...