Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing question

On Dec 17, 10:38*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:13:59 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

wrote:
On Dec 16, 11:19 pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 12/16/10 10:59 PM, Rich wrote: FrozenNorth wrote:

It just might clash with the granite counter top. :-)

to bad you don't have any granite left over. A granite shelf would look good
above the cook top and it can't burn. You need to keep oil and vinegar away
from the granite though. Its one of the few things that can screw granite
up.

Totally agree, it would be a no brainer, unfortunately matching the dark
green/black mottled black granite we have could be difficult.

Uba Tuba? How about a complementary colour as it is a 'featurette' in
solid surface? I have all kinds of small pieces like that in a variety
of colours. Black with a flake? Black with a stipple? Pure white? A
freebie if you want it, if you find a way to get it to you.

Uba Tuba, the most glorious of granites! *I love that stuff for its
looks, hate it for its coldness and hardness.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Okakura Kakuzo

Certainly near the top of my list also, but grades vary and it is hard
to beat the look of black pearl.
Because grades vary so much, a high grade Uba Tuba looks nicer than a
lower grade Black Pearl, but the opposite is also true.
So much absolute **** is being pawned off as Uba Tuba that one can
only hope that the dealer/fabricator you're working with knows his
stuff and won't buy crap to begin with.
In that sense, granite is like woods and diamonds... so many
variations.
I would rather have a pine board as a counter than some of the ****
that's being sold as granite anymore....BUT...

..
..
ohh.. and it's all hard and cold, makes for lousy bar tops and
desks... and not from a durability perspective either.

Good starting point: http://www.bluepearl.no/ and click on Lundhs.no
If you are ever in the neighbourhood of Larvik Norway, check out the
quarry, you'll see emerald pearl, blue pearl and black pearl, all from
the same area. If a piece of black pearl is of optimum grade and
polished properly, it looks way deeper than its thickness... just
awesome.