Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing question

On Dec 16, 6:28*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

This application SCREAMs for poly. No way Shellac. Any fluid with any
amount of water, ie vinegar, sitting on it will ruin it. It is not
ONLY harmed by alcohol. Lots of solvents and any wetness will harm it
significantly.

Oil varnishes will provide some varying degree resistance from some to
none. Poly is bullet proof except for too much heat, as will be any of
the finishes and it also will have the most resistance to heat of any.

Three choices. Poly, poly or poly. Or expoxy.

As a finisher, I must say this is the best response posted. Sure, you
can put a little piece of granite, stainless, laminate, etc., on this
accessory.

But since he specifically asked for a FINISH, I this is where
POLYURETHANE (for the impaired cave dwellers living in 1970s
woodworking fog) shines at its best.

For commonly found finishes available over the counter:

No finish is more cleanable.
No finish is more resistant to chemicals.
No finish is more abrasion resistant.
No finish is easier to apply.
For its toughness, no finish is easier to remove then reapply if
needed.

You can even get some tough as nails water based that won't yellow
over time such as Campbell, Sherwin Williams, etc.

Spot on there, Sonoma.

Robert