Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default help with drip feeding R2E4

I'm exhausted.

I've already lost the evidence of who suggested I use CAMBAM. I tried
it, and really (really!) like it. Andy provides great support, and the
package works like a dream.

But, like most "modern" packages, it presumes you have unlimited memory
in the machine, and outputs things like pockets as a series of discrete
blocks of code, rather than using the more compact canned cycles older
machines had (for just that reason).

I need CAMBAM -- it's just great, and makes GSimple look like a cludge.
But I can't use it until I figure out how to dripfeed my R2E4. I cannot
find a description of the Bridgeport DNC protocol anywhere. The port
configuration isn't the issue, the issue is that there is a definite
block protocol (that may include things like start characters, BCC
characters, CRC characters, etc...) for the BOSS9 DNC.

So far at least, Bridgeport has not responded to requests for
information. Anybody else got a document? I can do the coding, I just
have to know what to write.

FWIW... all of the commercial DNC packages that have a trial version have
so far failed to communicate with the R2E4, even if they have a BOSS
entry in their machines list. Most don't even know what the protocols
are, and expect you to set them up manually in an editor of some ilk.

Thanks,
LLoyd