Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inner door to shed

On 17/12/2010 12:31, Tim W wrote:
I have a small old stone outbuilding in the garden which I am slowly making
warm and dry. It might be used as an office, or a workshop or a teenagers'
vice den. The door is a rotten old ill fitting ledge and brace affair which
I want to retain so the outside is unchanged. I want to hang a second,
inward opening door on the inside of the door frame which will be draught
proof, well insulated for sound and heat and let in the maximum of light so
I can open the outer door and get the light through the inner door.

So I need a simple, modern, single pane, double glazed odd size door to go
in an existing wood frame. I know about joinery and one option is to make a
plain wooden door, but I don't know about aluminium, upvc, or even plain
glass. What are the alternatives to wood?

Tim W

It's easy enough to get an aluminium or uPVC door made up to your own
dimensions, but these would normally come complete with a frame designed
to fit into an aperture in brickwork. A uPVC frame - in particular -
needs to be firmly attached to brickwork to give it the necessary
rigidity. I don't think that you can easily fit aluminium or uPVC doors
into an existing wooden frame.

I don't quite understand how your suggestion is going to work anyway.
How deep is the frame - is there room for *another* door in addition to
the existing one? Are the doors going to be virtually touching each
other? What about space for handles/knobs etc. (i.e. inner handle on
existing door and outer handle on new door)?
--
Cheers,
Roger