Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Unintended asymetric turning

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:32:14 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

[...]

While the concept appear sound, I think you'll find it doesn't work well.
For one, when you start machining, you'll generate heat---which softens the
adhesive somewhat. You will be very limited to the amount you can remove
per pass.

As you face material that has not been previously machined, upsetting the
surface tends to relieve internal stresses, causing the material to move.
That, couple with the generated heat and the pressure of the cut will most
likely pull the part from the pocket.

Not suggesting it can't work, but I truly believe you'll just exchange one
set of problems for another set of problems.

I can't argue with that. Also cannot pretend that it was an original
idea...

[...]

Can you be a little specific and tell me exactly what you're trying to
accomplish, and how you start? Type of material, thickness of material,
destination sizes and tolerance, and anything that may flavor the outcome
would be nice to hear. Could be I can offer a solution----or not! :-)

I don't think I can add much to the OP.
The end result should look something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/5242609640/

Tolerances? If it looks right it's close enough...:-)

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC