Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6780 Ignoramus6780 is offline

Default Rigid tapping, pretty much, works.

At this point, after adjusting the base period, there are no more
following errors. It seems that, in the straight gear, rigid tapping
works just fine.

I have not tried it with real material, yet, but will do so as soon as
practicable. I am not expecting too many surprises, especially with a
floating tap holder.

Based on some calculations involving horsepower, torque, and tapping
torque requirements, I have some numbers to work with.

3 HP at 500 RPM gives 31.5 ft-lb. After adjusting for transmission
losses, I would say that I can easily have 20 ft-lb available for
tapping at 500 RPM.

According to

http://www.parlec.com/pages/tapping_...rements_speeds

In steel, I can tap up to 9/16" in steel and stay under 20 ft-lbs, and
up to 7/8" in brass and stay under 20 ft-lbs.

So, my back gear reversal issues, really, are of minor importance if I
do not tap in back gear. I rarely tap anything over 1/2", so I can do
most of my work in the way I am set up right now.