Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine Tapping

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:14:32 -0600, Ignoramus22945

On 2010-12-16, wrote:
A Fanuc Robodrill (CAT 40 VMC) will peck tap 1/4-20 UNC holes at 10,000
RPM.
That's not just me.
Your mileage won't vary.

I don't doubt that at all...I am, however, using a fairly old Hurco
that couldn't spin that fast with a bullet at the set-up dudes
head....that's me, by the way.

And the reason for the 2500 speed is that that is all the faster the
head is rated at. I have a smaller one that I use for taps #10 and
under that will take up to 4500.

At 10,000 RPM, a 20 TPI tap would travel 8.33 inches per second.

At 2,500 RPM, 2.08 inches per second.

Yea, these production guys live in a whole 'nuther world.

All my CNC tapping is at 100 RPM and that's plenty fast. For the one
of jobs I do increasing tap speed from 100 to 10,000 RPM would save a
couple minutes out of my day. And maybe not that, I use machine run
time to set up the next op or clean the shop. Or if its a long
program, start making parts on another machine.

Anyway, if you can do something else while your machine runs; speed is
not an issue for us HSM types. Now breaking a tap in a part IS.

I hear that. Lately my jobs all take hours and even days rather than
minutes. I spent the last week designing and building 3 unique parts for
somebody else and modifying one somebody else made for them so it would
actually work. My anxiety level has been above my eyebrows. If it was not
for having to stop and watch the machines run and go take care of my clients
at my day job I don't think I'ld have relaxed at all. LOL. It's one of the
most fun week I have had in a long time.