Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Killing fire ant colony under house - concrete slab so no crawl space

On Dec 16, 11:06*am, Alex wrote:
On Dec 16, 6:07*am, gpsman wrote:

On Dec 15, 3:26*pm, Alex wrote:

Anyway, thanks for any advice anyone has.

I'll tell you what I think I know, from reading, c. 1999, my last year
as a PCO with no hands-on fire ant experience.

Termidor is not labeled for fire ants, or indoor residential
application. *You need a new PCO, and your money back.

And I'd return that Ortho stuff. *We called Raid and that kind of crap
"liquid foot". *Sure, it'll kill most things, if you spray it directly
on them, but it has no more persistence than stepping on them (no
matter what the label says).

Ants in general can be tricky to treat, and you don't want to be half-
stepping. *Stress a colony and it may split. *You might not see ants
for months, then they come roaring back.

You should contact your local Dept. of Ag. county extension agent.
They should be familiar with the best pest control companies.

It's a short list of materials that are effective for fire ants,
possibly made shorter by your state EPA. *Dursban would probably be my
choice, if your new PCO is licensed to use it and your state allows
it. *It stinks to high heaven, and keeps stinking for a good while.

Still, exclusion is an essential defense. *You need to close their
accesses to the home interior and move the fight outside.
*-----

- gpsman

Hi gpsman,

After our bug guy used it I did some research and saw it's only
suggested to use outside and they didn't list Fire Ants even though
they didn't specifically say it didn't work on them. *I've read on a
few other pest control sites that Termidor has been used in the manor
in which our bug guy used it with great success, and honestly after he
put it down it did pretty much stop it for a few weeks -- but now
they're starting to trickle back in.

I'm thinking and really hoping that the ants are hanging around due to
a toilet in one of our bathrooms which we just discovered was
leaking. *The tile grout under the toilet has started turning colors,
so we have a plumber hopefully coming out tomorrow to check it out and
reseal the toilet. *While it's pulled I hope to use cement caulk to
seal around the pipe so with this plus a newly sealed toilet hopefully
that'll cut of one place where the ants might be getting water.

But not unlike getting a second opinion on anything else, I'm thinking
of calling another pest control company just to see what they'd
suggest. *The one I'm using is highly recommended in our area, but as
I said I think our case is rather unprecedented even from what I'm
reading online. *I hate to think we'd need to treat this like a
termite extermination with drilling holes in the concrete, but who
knows.- Hide quoted text -

What you see is probably scouts, they come in from the outside seeking
food and water and go back and "tell" the others. They also take back
the Termidier with them. If it was applied correctly they will go back
to there colony and poision it. This is the way Termidor is supposed
to work sO from time to time you will probably see ants especially
near sources that would attract them. I often see new ant beds in my
yard but none of them ever achive any significant size.

Jimmie