Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Rikon 70-100 Mini Lathe

On 12/16/2010 5:03 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In ,
"Mike wrote:

Any comments good bad or indifferent on this machine as a first lathe?

I learned to turn on a shopsmith, so perfection is not required - but it
sure speeds the learning curve _not_ to have to work around the
deficiencies of a lathe. Ruth (haven't see her here in a while) learned
on a craftsman mono-tube (yes, actually worse than a shopsmith) if I
recall correctly, and several other folks have dredged the bottom of
Horrible Fright's barrel when looking for least investment to try it
out. They probably would have done better used, if avoiding HF used
(sometime for more than HF new prices...) If at all possible, try to
find someone (through here, though a woodworking club, through a local
class, put an ad up on craigslist or your local paper) that you could
actually visit and turn some stuff with before you delve too far into
shopping.

agree with all of above - my first lathe was a monotube craftsman that I
paid $5 for. You can buy a decent used wood lathe for $25, you can make
one for not much more if you have any assembly skill - a pair of pillow
blocks, a piece of steel for a spindle, and a washing machine motor -
for bowl work you don't even need a tailstock