Posted to rec.woodworking
FrozenNorth[_4_] FrozenNorth[_4_] is offline

Default Finishing question

On 12/16/10 7:24 PM, EXT wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 12/16/10 6:28 PM, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Dec 16, 2:33 pm,
wrote:
Just got a new stove, the back above the control panel isn't deep
enough
for things we like to store there. List includes olive oil, veggie oil,
regular, balsamic and wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

I have the shelf made and coloured properly to match cabinets, now what
to use for a clear coat? Poly, varnish, shellac or ?

My initial reaction is always shellac. But given that you might spill
stuff& it will get greasy, I would day this is one place where
polyurinestain (tmLJ) is justified. You might want to check if acetic
acid affects it.

No direct spills, but drips out of the bottles is likely, that is why
I mentioned the contents and you are right grease and misc splatters
is a possibility. I was leaning towards poly, just wondering if the
various oils and vinegars may be a problem. They are so handy just at
the back of the stove.
--
Froz...

Anything wood will have a short life with heat, grease and cleaning. I
would not recommend it. But, if you must, I think a synthetic material
such as quartz or corian, will outlast wood. Depending on how close it
is to the flames or heating elements, it could catch fire or blister or
scorch.

It is going to be no closer than the cabinet clearance allowed.

--
Froz...