Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi[_2_] Luigi Zanasi[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing question

On Dec 16, 2:33*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Just got a new stove, the back above the control panel isn't deep enough
for things we like to store there. *List includes olive oil, veggie oil,
regular, balsamic and wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

I have the shelf made and coloured properly to match cabinets, now what
to use for a clear coat? *Poly, varnish, shellac or ?
--
Froz...

My initial reaction is always shellac. But given that you might spill
stuff & it will get greasy, I would day this is one place where
polyurinestain (tmLJ) is justified. You might want to check if acetic
acid affects it.

Luigi