Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Default How Immobile should a mobile base be?

Joe Shmoe wrote:
I bought a universal mobile base to put under my table saw and I have a
question. I put it together as per the instruction sheet and set it down
to test it, but -colour me stupid here- is the thing not supposed to be
immobile when in use? No matter where I position the levers the darn thing
keeps on moving.

I also busted a bolt while hand-tightening it. Maybe I just got a piece of
crap?

Could be. I visited the local woodworker's shop the other day and I had a
choice of three different "universal" bases: the Delta, Jet and some off brand
I'd never heard of. The fellow talked me into the Delta and I'm glad he did.
There was no real price advantage, the Jet and Delta were the same price (you
supply the wood) and the off brand was more money (was made completely of metal;
no wood required).

I visited the local hardwood supplier and bought some red oak. Milled it down
and put the thing together. It's easy to move when I want it to, but it's rock
solid when I don't. The Delta has two small fixed wheels and then one large
castoring wheel that raises the whole thing off the levelers.

I loaded my planer onto it.

I bought two of the bases for about $100 and enough oak for both of them for
about $35. None of the hardware stripped or broke when I put it together.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com